Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I remove a drawer from an antique curly maple dresser?

The top drawer of the antique curly maple dresser is stuck and will only come out half way. It will go in with a lot of coaxing. The second drawer is fine. The dresser belonged to my now deceased husband and I would like to give it to one of the children but it needs to be in working order first. Thank you in advance for your help.How can I remove a drawer from an antique curly maple dresser?
If it is a friction issue, try Johnson paste wax...works great!

If the piece is distorted, it could be a project for a professional.

Of course you want remove the drawer first, and make sure that all debris is removed.



edit: Sorry, I didn't read the question properly. I'm not sure how to remove it without seeing it first.

Often times a stop of some sort will be installed to prevent the drawer from coming all the way out.

If this is the case, you should be able to locate the stop.

If this isn't the case, I can't help you without detailed pictures of it in the open position.How can I remove a drawer from an antique curly maple dresser?
Taking a bar of soap and running it along the outside edges of the drawer will help. I usually do it on the top and bottom. Can you reach your hand inside the drawer a little ways to do this? Good Luck!
Harley Lady was right on the method. I like to use canned furniture wax though. It also makes the wood drawers glide smoothly without squeaking.
Take out completely the second drawer then check undernieth the first drawer that there is nothing sticking it. Sometimes they put things to hold the drawers in place so that they didn't come out all the way or they made hidden parts to hide things in. Then try moving it out from the underneith position by wiggiling it gently. Not sure you should do anything to this maple dresser like refinishing it makes them loose their value. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment