Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I keep my curly hair from getting poufy?

My hair is curly but I rarely wear it down curly because it is so puffy and frizzy. I want advice on how to tame it down without a lot of work.How do I keep my curly hair from getting poufy?
My hair's really curly too. I know how you feel, I used to never be able to do anything with it. I got the book ';Curly Girl'; by Lorraine Massey. It tells you how to take care of it. Look on naturallycurly.com for some products and advice. On the forums on the website there's also a basic step by step of the Curly Girl routine if you want to start soon, but you definitely should read the book.



I straightened my hair for almost a year, so it was really damaged by the time I started Curly Girl. It took about 7 weeks for my hair to get healthy again and look really good, but yours will probably take less time because you don't straighten it.



Your hair has to be wet to put the products in. In the Curly Girl book it tells you to wash your hair with conditioner, NOT shampoo because shampoo damages curly hair. So I use Tresemme conditioner. The book explains how to wash your hair with conditioner, but I only do it every other day or my curls with get flat (the other days I just put in con. like I normally did when I shampooed).



I use Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment and L.A. Looks Curl gel. First I separate my hair into 5 sections with clips - top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left, and bottom back. Go one section at a time and put the leave-in in. Start with BR, BL, and BB. Once you've put the leave-in in all of them, don't take the other 2 sections down, put the gel in the entire bottom section. I use the size of about 2 quarters, but you might need less. Scrunch in the gel. Once you've done that, do the same thing for each top section. Then I plop my hair:



http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/its-a-curly-world/to-plop-or-not-to-plop



I keep the plop in for 12 minutes. You may need less or more time, just figure out what works.



Good luck!How do I keep my curly hair from getting poufy?
japanese or brazillian straightening.
mouse works great(one that has leave in conditioner combined with it, it tames frizz) like aussie has what sounds like the perfect product for you!
use deep conditioner frequently
I cut it short now it looks awesome. It looks like Alice's hair from Twilight:



http://www.stuff.za.net/wp-content/uploa
Use some serum to calm your hair. Or, apply mousse and curl it like you would if you're hair was straight. That gets ride of frizz.
Well you should make it wet, and when it is wet brush it out and blow-dry it with a hair dryer. My hair is thin but curls and i do this so it stays straight.
blow it dry with a diffuser, wash and condition with products meant for curly hair, use all natural bristle brush, which will help evenly distribute the oils in your hair to keep it hydrated and fresh looking. you can get the shampoo and conditioner (maybe you need mousse too) at Wal-mart, preferably garnier fructise. mouse and blow dryer with attachments at sally or other salons.
I use this and it only takes 3 squirts. It won't take away your curls just relax them so they don't frizz and poof out. It's also important to let your hair air dry and DO NOT blow dry it. If you have to wash it before bed and let it dry over night.



http://www.extendedlengths.com/pamisuskr
I have the SAME problem! And straightening it isn't healthy. I use conditionors for dry/damaged hair and length + strength shampoos. NEVER get anything volumizing (lol of course u would know) but I use conditoner WAAYYY more than shampoo. washing your hair everyday (with shampoo) tends to dry it out and make it frizz. Conditioners moistureize and will make it silky, you might have to glob it in and comb it in the shower. After that and after it dries, and it is STILL poofy, try some anti frizz products. But not too much, becaue you dont want your hair to look greasy. after the anti-frizz, it is STILL poofy, try using moose or gel and run it through your curls.
I have this same problem I use to only wear ponytails because my hair was super wavy poofy and frizzy But Now I have a chi Straightener and Its so nice smooth and straight I love it! I really suggest you get a chi mine was around 130$ but it was WORTH it.
gel

leave in conditioner

don't towel dry it and instead damp it with paper towel

straighten it or cut it
I also have very curly hair. I like to use John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Around shampoo, conditioner, and serum. A good anti-frizz serum is important for everyday curls and especially when you want to straighten your hair. I also like garnier fructis serum and Sunsilk De-frizz 24/7 creme. Try all of these products for tame curls without much work!!!
Whatever you do, DON'T overuse conditioner! It will make your hair really greasy! Wash your hair as normal and before you dry it, work just a dab of Herbal Essences anti-frizz gel (in blue tube) through your hair. After it's drys, you can use just a little more to tame fly-aways. Finish with a light misting of Aussie anti-humidity hair spray.
Here are some frizz tips for you!



* A good haircut is key (find an expert here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons

* Sleep on a satin pillowcase

* Don't shampoo every day

* Comb conditioner through hair in the shower

* Avoid terrycloth towels; use microfiber instead

* Air dry or use a diffuser

* Use styling products suited for your hair type (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

* NEVER use a brush

* Don't touch your hair

* A pomade is great for mid-day touchups

* Apply styling products to dripping wet hair

No comments:

Post a Comment