Thursday, October 21, 2010

How to tame thick curly hair?

I have thick, curly brown hair. My dad comes from a black jamaican background and my mom's white. They're quite tight curls, like corkscrew curls. I'm absolutely sick of it! I can't do anything with it and i'm not sure what to do. I find it hard to straighten, and it doesn't look all that great when i do.



Has anybody got any ideas on styles?



Is it worth getting a relaxer?



any ideas please?!How to tame thick curly hair?
I'm a stylist and I want to scream to you as loudly as I can DON'T GET A RELAXER!!!!!! Sure, it might look okay (you will never get the bouncy, flowly hair of someone who has a different ethnicity than you) but then after when you go get the touch ups it will will break, look nasty start thinning. Just think of all those girls that you've seen with a relaxer, they can't even grow their hair out because their ends are so split that it will split up the hair shaft until it breaks off. What you should do is ask for it to get thinned out (I love big curly hair so I'm going to give you tips to tame it but not to get rid of the curls) and focus as much as you can on moustrizing. You should mousturize it as much as you can, every other day if you could (deep mousturizers like masks and egg yolks, baby oil, and mayonaise, aloe vera, and anything you can think of) , and get lots of layers cut in your hair, it will help with the poof and give your hair more shape. Use a VERY strong hold moose in your hair, when your hair is very wet, if you want to spend more time to make your hair look nice put a lot of hard hold moose in it and then curl your hair with your fingers. The curls will stay and be as defined as when you did them. Don't damage your hair at all, no ironing or anything. Curly hair is normally very dry, expecially your type of extreme curls. What wouldn't make my hair sneeze will kill your's. Again the main word is mousturize.How to tame thick curly hair?
get it thinned out by hairdresser x

answer mine pls :D x http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;
My friend had quite frizzy hair, she had a relaxer and now it is always smooth, sleek and gorgeous! I'd go for it! And then if you miss or fancy some curls later you can just create curls of any type you want with a curling tong or straighteners! :-)
I have the exact same problem as you. M%26amp;M is absolutely right. Don't ever use relaxer it will damage your hair not only at the ends but at the roots too and once that happens you will never get it back. I too am mixed and I empathise with you completely. There are a couple of websites you should visit. Mulatto.org and bi-racial hair. Sorry, but I don't know how to post a link.

There are many ways you can tame your hair. When you wash it for instance, Start brushing from the bottom to the top. Take your time and be gentle. use lots of conditioner My hair is nearly to my waist so I tend to use about 1/3 of a bottle of conditioner, when you've finished don't wash the conditioner out completely. Plait your hair into two and go to bed with it plaited. In the morning undo it. Don't play around with it, just use your fingers to undo the plaits. Don't use hairdryers, heat or any chemicals on your hair. You don't say how long your hair is but, the longer your hair gets the looser the curls fall. Mine falls in an elongated ';S'; shape because it's quite long now. In between shampoos (only shampoo once a week) you can use conditioners. The Proud Lady products are very good. I use Pink. They do a cream conditioner and spray too.

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment