Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do I keep my naturally curly hair from frizzing?

My hair is very thick, coarse textured and curly, the curls don't lay all uniform and pretty like a perm, they seemingly have lives of their own-lol. But just a little humidity turns my hair into an instant mess. Even leaving it curly with lots of gel instead of blow drying it does not help, are there any products to help?How do I keep my naturally curly hair from frizzing?
I wouldn't recommend biosilk - I've tried it and it just weighs my hair down and it's hard to wash out, very heavy.



I have had incredible success following the ';curly girl'; instructions, a book I found many years ago. Here they are in short form, but if you can find it somewhere, do buy it, it's a great read and all your curly haired friends will love to borrow it! Mine is always out on loan. Anyways, here is what you have to do:



1. STOP shampooing - it just dries out your hair and makes it brittle and frizzy. Instead, use conditioner to wash and then conditioner to condition. Basically you cannot ';shampoo'; with a product that has sodium lauryl sulfate in it, that is the stuff they put in dishwashing soap - it creates a lather and ruins the texture of your hair. I found a shampoo that does not have sodium laurel sulfate and I use it when I feel my hair is getting a bit heavy. Curly hair has more openings in it than straight hair - because the scales do not lay flat. This means that it dries out much faster and needs to be treated very very gently. So if you do this first step it will go a LONG way! It might take a little while - I had best results when I cut my hair very short and started from scratch, you don't have to do that but do get a good trim after you get started to get rid of some of your damaged hair.



2. Leave a little conditioner in your hair. Curly hair is thirsty hair, like I said, very dry. It needs a little help.



3. Do a cold water rinse, to seal the hair shaft - I don't need to do this myself but you may like the results, experiment with it.



3. Lastly, never never never brush your hair. After washing gently with conditioner and then conditioning, pat it dry with a towel and put in your gel or what have you (no biosilk!). I like mousse, gel, or gel spray myself. Then, let it dry naturally, without running fingers through or brushing. Believe me, it is hard to do because at about half time it doesn't look so hot! But it is worth the wait. It sounds like you have REALLY curly hair, where as I have wavy-curly hair - as I dry my hair I need to flip my head upside down serveral times to let the curls find themselves and get loose from the other hair - you could try this and see if it works for you.



4. If you still get a few frizzy hairs after all this (I sometimes do if I don't put enough product in), you can put something creamy over those fine hairs that are just sticking out - I sometimes even use hand cream if I don't have my anti friz cream.



GOOD LUCK! I hope this advice works for you! Society just does not seem to support us curly girls, even though all the ladies at work are super jealous of my hair. ( I wish I had straight hair of course!) For example, on What Not To Wear, they make most of the curly haired ladies iron their poor curls straight ( not good to fry already frizzy hair!) and this from a man who has curls. I always think ';JERKS!'; So the ladies get a hair makeover that lasts the one day and they go home feeling bad about their curly hair. No help from Nick at all. It frustrates the hell out of me - on TV and movies 99.9% of the time, straight haired girls are on such a pedestal! (And they are in the minority, most people have wavy or culy hair!) Anyways. My rant is over!! :)How do I keep my naturally curly hair from frizzing?
bioslilk works really good!
jeri curl grease.
My hair is just like yours! I use John Frieda's frizz ease serum, you have to put it on when you have just washed your hair. its really good. hope that helped. :D
You should get 360 waves
The ';Frizz Ease'; products that you can buy in the store are quite good. They don't entirely fix the problem - but they help a lot.



I finally just cut my hair off - and now at less than an inch in most places - the frizz (and most of the curl) is gone.
Use a serum on it. Frizz-eaze is a good one xxx
fabric softener sheets work pretty well. they have some anti-static thing with them.



I miss my long hair =/
Keep your hair from drying out by using a cream or something, dry hair is more susceptible to frizzies...
use herbal essences in the skinny purple bottle...its mousse and its called totally twisted...i have the same problem and this totally helps
use serums or products designed especially for silky curls. i suggest buying one you find that will work best, then when your hair is wet, with product on your hands, slowly wrap strands of hair around your fingers to form a curl. once you've done all your hair, dry on low heat with a diffuser, and that should help bunches
make sure you condition really well. and try something likea suave healthy curls. or garnier frutise surf hair. they both work really well at fighting frizz
I think paraffin is the best it was used for hair during the war
go here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/
some new shampoos have frizz control in them now, so you should research that, but BEDHEAD has a gel/ mouse that you put in your hair and it works really well it's called friz control or something like that but it's in most walmarts. they are different kinds of colors the bottles i mean . but it really helps.
curly hair is difficult to control it style because it frizzes and shrink after in water.i believe that Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo for curly hair ,Curl Friends Cleanse Daily Shampoo for Curly Hair, Loreal Vive Curl Vive Shampoo For Curly Hair, and Marc Anthony xForever Long Shampoo for Curly Hair are good products for curly hair to keep it in tacked and not frizz.
Go to this website and take a look. Someone there should be able to help you.



http://www.longhaircommunity.com/
Oil is the only thing that helps. I share this problem. Blow drying is bad for the hair.



Best to take a little oil and rub it all over. Avoid the top of head; do the tangles. Then, after towel drying, take the hair and tie with a band. Lose Pony style. Crunch the rest of the hair. Leave it that way for a while. Then take away the band and let that portion dry.



I am afraid, nothing much can be done during humidity.



A product we use is Aveda brilliant styling cream Helps.
You didn't say whether your hair is dry or oily, but you could be describing my hair. I use a shampoo and conditioner for dry/ damaged or color treated hair. Mine is VERY dry by nature. I really like TRESemme and it is fairly inexpensive. I NEVER blow dry as it dries my hair and makes it frizzier. I towel wrap for a few minutes, to pull out the excess water. I then use a leave in cream conditioner, called Paul Mitchell, The Conditioner. Beauty supply stores sometimes sell a generic of this product. I make sure it is thoroughly combed through and use it as my styling agent and style it as I could like and leave dry. When my hair get caught in wind or rain, I use Infusium spray for touch ups and keep a small spray bottle with me most of the time. Never comb or brush dry, that adds to the frizz.

The style also makes a difference. I always wore long hair and it was easier to manage. I have short hair now because of chemo, and it is much harder to control. Wet windy days and curly hair are a good formula for pony tails or french braids and I do not have that option yet.

I am glad that you asked this question. I am enjoying reading the answers and am always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment